Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Grassroots Values

By Zev Rose

As our time in Brazil comes to an end I find myself reflecting on the stories and unique attributes of Brazil that I want to share with my friends and family. I look forward to looking over all the amazing pictures we’ve taken of the beautiful landscapes, farms, cities, towns, people, and food. And reviewing my notes from all the interesting courses, interviews and discussions. But beyond the physical memories I want to be able to take with me the culture of sharing, and pervasive feeling of love, humility, and openness.  

After the rush and excitement of our first few days in Rio de Janeiro arriving to Iracambi after hour 6-hour bus ride was a great relief. I felt graciously welcomed and taken care of by the staff and woke up the next morning to the beautiful sights and sounds of the Atlantic Rainforest. The vastness of the area around Iracambi was disorienting at first and as we bumped along the dirt roads, crisscrossing hills and visiting farmers, I had a hard time believing I’d ever get a handle on this place. But those feeling began to subside as we spent time learning and engaging with farmers that are committed to the land, their community, and their values. I also felt embraced by the staff of Iracambi, who took every opportunity to befriend us by sharing their time and unique perspectives on Iracambi, the region, and the world.

A group of agroecology high school  students in MuriaĆ© with our AU team
As our group developed relationships with farmers practicing and teaching agroecology I began to understand that for them these practices are a way of life, rich in environmental and social values. The farmers generously donated their time to show us all over their farms and show us the various methods they’re using and experiments they’re conducting. They’ve found that agroecology produces higher yields and helps to improve the critical natural resources that have been degraded over the years. They also shared with us the love and joy they have for the land, the food they produce, the forest, the springs, and all that is involved with their difficult work. The values that underpin their lifestyles are basic human values, and yet so many people struggle to practice them in their day-to-day lives. I was moved by their openness, and the fact that they enjoyed sharing their deep thoughts and visions for their lives and the community.



The view from the top of the high trail at Iracambi
The uniqueness of Iracambi comes from its ability to take strangers from all walks of life and make them friends and advocates. I believe this is due to the truly genuine people that are affiliated with it, and the steadfast values that guide them. As I leave Iracambi I am equipped with powerful new knowledge and many tools for combatting climate change and supporting rural farmers. But staying at Iracambi also helped me to appreciate that change in my country and my community starts with a culture steeped in values at the grassroots and local level. I leave feeling invigorated and enthusiastic, and ready to channel the love and openness into pursuing the social and environmental good in my personal and professional life. 

No comments:

Post a Comment